Addition Game and Subtraction Game – Kiss the Dragon is a game of Strategy, Addition & Subtraction. Players take turns moving a single counter 1, 2 or 3 spaces at a time trying to make their opponent land on the dragon’s head. Players answer Addition and Subtraction questions as they progress.
Addition & Subtraction Game – Kiss the Dragon with Triangular Flash Cards
Kiss the Dragon is a game of Strategy, Addition & Subtraction. Players take turns moving a single counter 1, 2 or 3 spaces at a time trying to make their opponent land on the dragon’s head. Players answer Addition and Subtraction questions as they progress.
What You Need:
2 Players 1 Kiss the Dragon Game Board 1 Counter 1 Set of Triangular Game Cards formed into a Deck
– Place Counter on the green hill.
Triangular Flash Cards
How to Play:
1. The person with the shortest hair goes first. 2. Player One moves the counter 1, 2 or 3 spaces on the dragon’s back. 3. Player 2 draws a card and holds their fingers over one of the corners of the card. Player One uses mathematical reasoning to work out which number is hidden. NB If a student cannot answer a question they hang onto the card to revise it before the next game. 4. Player 2 then repeats steps 2 and 3. 5. Play continues in this fashion until one player is forced to place the counter on the dragon’s head.
How to Win:
The player who forces the other to place the counter on the dragon’s head is the winner.
During the Game:
– Teacher observes the games in progress to ensure the use of the cards is understood.
– Teacher takes notes on areas of remediation.
Possible Journal Reflections:
– In your own words, outline how to play this game to someone in a different grade.
– Outline your winning strategy for this game.
– While I was playing this Math Game I noticed…
– I found it easy/hard to stay focused in Math today because…
– What do you feel you need to focus on next time you play this game?
Triangular Flash Card
– Change the number of moves allowed eg 1, 2 , 3 & 4. Experiment to see how changing this variable affects the game.
– Start from the head and go back to the tail
– Make the player who lands on the head of the dragon the winner.
Included in this Download:
1 Kiss the Dragon Game Board 1 Set of Doubles Triangular Flash Cards – Orange 1 Set of Doubles Plus One Triangular Flash Cards – Turquoise 1 Set of Doubles Plus Two Triangular Flash Cards – Green 1 Set of Friends to Ten Triangular Flash Cards – Purple