Division & Multiplication Triangular Flash Card Game
Kiss the Dragon
Division & Multiplication Triangular Flash Card Game – Kiss the Dragon
The Essence of the Game:
Kiss the Dragon is a game of Strategy, Division, and Multiplication. Players take turns moving a single counter 1, 2 or 3 spaces at a time trying to make their opponent land on the dragon’s head. Players use mathematical reasoning to work out the hidden numbers on the triangular game cards.
What You Need:
1 Kiss the Dragon Game Board
1 Set of Triangular Game Cards formed into a Deck
– Place Counter on a green hill.
How to Play:
1. The person with the shortest hair goes first.
2. Player One moves the counter 1, 2, or 3 spaces on the dragon’s back.
3. Player 2 draws a card and holds their fingers over one of the corners of the card. Player One uses mathematical reasoning to work out which number is hidden.
NB If a student cannot answer a question they hang onto the card to revise it before the next game.
4. Player 2 then repeats steps 2 and 3.
5. Play continues in this fashion until one player is forced to place the counter on the dragon’s head.
How to Win:
The player who forces the other to place the counter on the dragon’s head is the winner.
Before the Game:
– Introduce the triangular flashcards and how they work ie if you place your finger over one of the numbers you can use mathematical strategies to work out the missing number.
– Let the students know there is an optimal way to play this game so one of the players will always win. So as they play they are looking for this strategy.
– Outline the way the cards are simply a way to know what number facts they need to ‘work on’.
– Discuss strategies for learning number facts.
During the Game:
– Teacher observes the games in progress to ensure the use of the cards is understood.
– Teacher takes notes on areas of remediation.
Possible Journal Reflections:
– In your own words, outline how to play this game to someone in a different grade.
– Outline your winning strategy for this game.
– While I was playing this Math Game I noticed…
– I found it easy/hard to stay focused in Math today because…
– What do you feel you need to focus on next time you play this game?
– Change the number of moves allowed eg 1, 2, 3 & 4. Experiment to see how changing this variable affects the game.
– Start from the head and go back to the tail
– Make the player who lands on the head of the dragon the winner.
Included in this Download:
1 Kiss the Dragon Game Boards
1 Set of Triangular Flash Cards for the 5 Times Table – Green
1 Set of Triangular Flash Cards for the 6 Times Table – Crimson
1 Set of Triangular Flash Cards for the 7 Times Table – Blue
1 Set of Triangular Flash Cards for the 8 Times Table – Red
1 Set of Triangular Flash Cards for the 9 Times Table – Purple