Initial Blend Card Game – Change – bl.fl,cl,pl,gl & sl
Initial Blend Card Game – Change – bl.fl,cl,pl,gl & sl. Initial Blend Phonics Card Game – bl.fl,cl,pl,gl & sl A Great Reading Game for Literacy Groups, sight word practice, auditory discrimination, phonics lessons & homework.
Initial Blend Card Game
Change – bl.fl,cl,pl,gl & sl
Initial Blend Change – bl, fl, pl, sl, cl & gl:
Is a card game designed to give students an enjoyable way to practice initial blends.
How to play:
1. Two, three, or four players sit so they are facing each other.
2. Select a dealer to shuffle the cards and give five cards to each member of the group, as well as themselves.
3. Place all the remaining cards in a pile face down in the center. Next, flip one card off the top of this pile and place it face up next to the stack.
4. The dealer reads the card by pronouncing the sound of the letters marked in red and then the word e.g. If the card is ‘glove’ the dealer says, ‘gl like in glove’ If the card is ‘ gloom ‘ the dealer says, ‘ gl like in ‘gloom’.
5. The students then look at their cards and take their turn moving to the left around the circle. If they have cards with the same sound as the one turned over by the dealer they can place one on top of the pile by saying ‘cl like in cross’ or ‘ cl like in cl own ‘.
6. If they do not have a match in their hand they pick up a card from the facedown pile. If the card they pick up is a match they can put it straight down, if not, they place it in their hand and the next player has a turn.
7. If the player does not have a match but has a CHANGE card in their hand they can change the sound being matched i.e. if say they had the cards ‘ gl ass, gl ory & gl oom ‘ they would place down their CHANGE card and say “I’d like to change it to ‘ gl like in glass'”. All the following players must match for ‘gl ‘.
8. The person who is the first to have no cards left is the winner.
NB The power of this game as a learning tool comes from having the children say o like in vote’ when playing. Please ensure they keep doing it throughout the learning sessions.
NB We are making all the cards for this game in the same format so once you do your reading assessments you can build a personal deck based on your students’ needs. eg here is the Bossy E Rule Game
Words and Blends Included in this Game: bl = black, blank, blast, blaze, bleed, blend, blue, bloom, blunt & blob. fl = flag, flake, flame, flash, flat, fleet, fly, flight, flip & flower. pl=place, plane, plain, planet, plant, play, please, plenty, plot, plow, pluck & plum. sl=slam, slang, slap, sleep, sleep, slip, slice, slow, slug, slump, sly, slippers, cl=claim, clam, clamp, clap. claw, clay, clever, click, clock, close, cloud, clown & club. gl=glad, glance, glass, glee, glider, glitter, globe, gloom, glory & glove.