Ten Times Table – Jump
Multiplication Game – Jump – x10
Multiplication Game – Ten Times Table Jump:
This ‘Ten Times Table Jump’ game is a collection of 6 Multiplication Game Boards and 40 cards designed to facilitate the learning of the Ten Times Table in an enjoyable way.
About this Game:
A Multiplication Game for the Ten Times Table: Jump is a fast-paced enjoyable math game. The students place their fingers on the frog footprints, wait for the caller to read an algorithm, call out the answer then jump their fingers to the answer. This game is one of the ones students always choose when given free choice of what math game they would like to play.
Tables Game – Jump x10 – Printer Friendly
What You Need:
1 game board
1 set of ten times table cards
calculators (in their place as a learning tool)
How to Play:
1. Elect a caller for the first round.
2. Players One and Two place their index finger and their middle finger on the footprints on the lily pads ready to leap.
3. Caller shuffles the cards, flips the top card, and reads the algorithm to the players.
4. Players work out the algorithm in their minds and then, when they have the answer, ‘jump’ with both their fingers onto the answer.
NB Players must not move until they know the answer.
5. Play a best of 9 competition.
6. The Caller plays the winner of the first round.
7. Play continues in this fashion until a champion is found.
NB – In the second version of the game the caller reads out the answer to the algorithm and the students jump to the actual algorithm.
Before the Game:
– Discuss how this game is designed to help students achieve automaticity of these number facts.
– Discuss ‘helpful’ and ‘unhelpful’ self-talk.
– Ensure the students have a concrete understanding of the algorithms.
During the Game:
– Ask, ‘Which facts do you think you need to work on to do better at this game?’
– Ask, ‘ What strategies have you put in place to ensure you learn that fact?’
– Say, ‘When I was learning this stuff I found… (insert favorite strategy) helped me. How about you give it a go and see if it works for you.’
After the Game:
– In your mind, you will have noticed the facts you were yet to achieve automaticity. Write them down and work on them as we will play this game again in a couple of days.
Multiplication Game – Jump -x10 – Variations
– I love drawing this game board up in chalk on the playground concrete or on the carpet in my classroom. I then have groups of 5 or 6 students play the game where they physically jump on the numbers. It is soooooooo much fun but the students MUST take the responsibility for playing safely.
– When introducing a new set of number facts I insist on all students using calculators as a tool for learning. Ensure the students see automaticity is much more desirable than relying on the calculator.
Included in this Printable Download:
1 high color Ten Times Table game board in the form of 10×4
1 high color Ten Times Table game board in the form of 4×10
1 high color Ten Times Table game board with the table algorithm answers
1 low color Ten Times Table game board in the form of 10×4
1 low color Ten Times Table game board in the form of 4×10
1 low color Ten Times Table game board with the table algorithm answers
1 set of rules and teaching points
40 Ten Times Table flashcards
PLUS – 1 PowerPoint file with all color boards and algorithm cards for easy explanation and Number Talks.