Bump – Friends to 20 – 8 Game Boards
Addition Games – Bump – Friends to 20 – 8 Game Boards
Addition Games – Friends to 20 Bump:
Players throw 2 dice and calculate the sum. They then calculate ‘How many more to 20?’ and place a counter on the answer. e.g If 2 sixes are thrown the player covers 8 since 12+8=20. The game is ideal for practicing the mental Math strategy ‘Friends to 20’.
Fairies Addition Game
What You Need:
2 dice numbered 1 to 6
1 Friend to 20 Board
6 Counters of different colors per Player
1 Dice Mat – Optional
How to Play this Addition Game:
1. Add up how many letters you have in your first and last names. The student with the most letters goes first.
2. Player One throws the 2 dice onto the Dice Mat.
3. Player One finds the sum of the dice and mentally calculates, ‘How many more to 20?’ . (NB it is a good idea to have Player 2 to check Player One’s calculations for accuracy).
4. Player One places one of their counters on the answer.
5. Player Two repeats steps 2 through 4.
Mermaid Addition Game
The ‘Bump’ Rule:
– If a number is already covered by a single opposition counter a player can ‘BUMP’ the counter off the board and replace it with their own.
The ‘Locked In’ Rule:
– If a number is covered by your piece and you throw that number, A player can place a second counter on top of the one already on the board. This means the piece is ‘LOCKED IN’ and it cannot be ‘BUMPED’ off the board.
How to Win this Addition Game:
The first player to use up all their counters wins the game.
The Dice Mat:
– The Dice Mat is a piece of felt or A4 paper. It is used to keep down the noise, confine the ‘throws’ to a small area, and or eliminate dice-related ‘silliness’ before it occurs.
– If any of the dice roll off the mat the throw is disallowed.
Conduct Number Talks Before and After the Game:
A ‘Number Talk’ is a 5 to 15-minute class discussion that focuses on the efficient use of number strategies to solve problems. The teacher and students verbally communicate problem-solving strategies to explore and expose the group to new ways of thinking. The talks serve to deepen mathematical understandings and develop computational fluency.
Math Game – Friends to 20
A Possible Number Talks:
– Throw the dice and model solving the problem presented. NB The verbalizing of teacher self-talk is very important e.g I worked this out by going 4+4 is 8, it’s 2 more to 10 and then 10 more to 20 so the answer is 2+10.
– Does anyone have a different way of doing it?
– Explain to a partner how you found the answer. ie Use the ‘Think, Pair Share’ or ‘Think, Pair Square’ strategy.
– How could we use subtraction to solve these problems? ‘Think, Pair Share’
– Explore – Which is the most efficient way of working out these problems? ‘Think, Pair Share’
– Is there any need to say ‘plus’ when adding mentally e.g if the dice show 5 and a 6 do you really need to say mentally 5+6=11?
Base Number Talks on Observed Behaviours:
– When you see a lot of ‘Counting On’ to solve the dice numbers, encourage the practicing of strategies because they are efficient. Model how efficient they are.
– Bridge to Ten
– Facts to Twenty
– Counting by 2s
– Counting backward and forwards
Possible Journal Reflections:
– I enjoyed playing this Math game today because______________
– I did not enjoy playing this Math game today because___________
– While playing the Math game today I figured out ________
– After playing this Math game I can now ___________
– Based on the way I felt today in Math I need to __________
– What did you discover about your use of Addition strategies while playing this game.
Mermaid Math Game
Mermaid Addition Game
– On a scale from 1 to 10 I rated my Math work a ______ today because________
Game Boards Included in this Download:
– Mermaid Friends to 20 Full-Color Game Board
– Mermaid Friends to 20 Low Color Game Board
– Astronauts Friends to 20 Full-Color Game Board
– Astronauts Friends to 20 Low Color Game Board
– Construction Workers Friends to 20 Full-Color Game Board
– Construction Workers Friends to 20 Low Color Game Board
– Fairy Friends to 20 Full-Color Game Board
– Fairy Friends to 20 Low Color Game Board
– Set of Game Rules
– Teaching Notes
– Possible Math Journal Reflections
NB There are ‘low color’ versions of each board in this download
just in case you have one of ‘those’ principals hehehe