Contractions Practice Game – How to Use the Apostrophe to Make Contractions – Bingo. Contractions Practice Game – a printable contractions game designed to explore both the expanded and contracted forms of MANY common contractions.
Contractions Game – Bingo :
My Contractions Bingo Game explores the conventions of contractions and aims to ELIMINATE the feral apostrophe in an enjoyable way. 😉
In this version of the game, the CONTRACTED FORM IS READ out by the caller and the students cover the expanded form on their game boards.
What you Need:
10 to 30 players
10 game boards
25 counters per game board
1 deck of contractions cards
How to Play:
1. Students distribute game boards & counters.
2. The caller shuffles the deck then flips the top card and reads it to the players.
3. In their minds or aloud to a partner the students convert the formal speech to a contraction.
4. They then search their board to see if they have the contraction called. If they do, they place a counter on it. If not, they wait for the next turn.
5. Play continues in this way until one of the boards has all contractions covered.
6. On placing the final counter the first student to call ‘BINGO’ is the winner.
1. The first player to get a horizontal, vertical, or diagonal line is the winner.
2. The first player to make a capital N or X wins. I use two different colored counters for this version.
3. Do a web search for “bingo patterns”. There are lots of different ways to play. Get the students to pick which ones they’d like to play.
During the Game:
1. Be sure to use the words in meaningful sentences as the students are looking for their words.
2. If the students are Ok with it, add their names to the sentences. Use your knowledge of their likes and dislikes. Have fun with it.
Included In This Printable Download:
– 10 unique contractions game boards (High Color)
– 10 duplicate game boards (Low color for ‘ink saving’ printing)
– 46 Expanded Form word Cards (High Color)
– 1 set of game rules and possible variations
– One PowerPoint file with all game boards and all cards for easy class discussion.