Initial Blend Bingo – bl, fl, cl, pl & sl
Initial Blend Bingo – bl, cl, fl, sl & pl is a classic phonics game used in classrooms around the world to reinforce and practice initial blends.
Initial Blend Bingo
bl, fl, cl, pl & sl
Initial Blend Bingo:
A classic classroom game designed to have groups of students practice the initial blends bl, fl, pl & sl.
What You Need:
– All game boards printed out and either laminated or in plastic sleeves
– The game word lists printed and photocopied for future games
– 25 plastic counters for each player.
Initial Blend Bingo can be played as a small group of 6 or eight students or as a whole class. It is a great game for Literacy Centres and parent helpers.
How to Play:
1. Students sit with their materials ready to go.
2. A game leader chooses a word at random from the word list and crosses it off.
3. Players search their board for that word. If the word is printed on their game board they cover the word with a counter, if not they wait for the next word to be read.
4. The winner is the person who covers all the words first and calls out BINGO.
NB – I like to play this game so the winner is the first person to get 5 counters in a row either horizontally, vertically, or diagonally. I think it keeps the interest level high.
– Pairs of students play one board. This opens up the way to cooperative learning.
– Each student plays with 2 boards.
Words included in Bingo – bl, fl, cl, pl & sl:
black, blank, blast, blaze, bleed, blend, blue, bloom, blunt, blob
flag, flake, flame, flash, flat, fleet, fly, flight, flip, flower
place, plane, plain, planet, plant, play, please, plenty, plot, plow, pluck, plum
slam, slang, slap, sleep, sleep, slip, slice, slow, slug, slump, sly, slippers
claim, clam, clamp, clap. claw, clay, clever, click, clock, close, cloud, clown, club