Initial Blends Game
Initial Blends Phonics Game – 4 in a Row – is an excellent Literacy Centre Activity. It provides a SOCIAL & ENJOYABLE way to practice the initial blends sl, cl, gl, bl, fl, pl, str, br, gr, cr, fr & dr.
sl, cl, gl, bl, fl, pl, str, br, gr, cr, fr & dr
Initial Blends Phonics Game:
4 in a Row – is an excellent Literacy Centre Activity. It provides a SOCIAL & ENJOYABLE way to practice the initial blends sl, cl, gl, bl, fl, pl, str, br, gr, cr, fr & dr.
The Essence of the Game:
Students place counters alternately on the game board and read the sight words. The winner is the first person to get 4 of their counters to line up horizontally, vertically, or diagonally.
– Print this board and laminate it.
– One die (yes die is the singular, dice is the plural)
– Colored counters for each player e.g. Player 1 = red Player 2 = green.
How to Play:
1. Roll the die.
2. Read a sight word with the same number as the die.
3. Place one colored counter on the sight word if read correctly.
4. The winner is the one to have 4 in a row either vertically, horizontally or diagonally.
Tips and Hints:
• This game works best as a two-player game.
• Can be played without a die – children just choose words.
• Try playing best of three plays – this helps to reinforce sight word vocabulary.
• Rules can be adapted to get children to spell the word.
Included in the Download:
4 High Color Boards
4 Black & White Boards
1 set of Game Rules
1 PowerPoint File with all the Colored Board for Whole Class Exploration and Discussion
Words Included in the Games:
Board 1 – bl, fl & pl – black, blank, blast, blaze, bleed, blend, blue, bloom, blunt, blob, blade, blanket, flag, flake, flame, flash, flat, fleet, fly, flight, flip, flower, flap, flesh, place, plane, plain, planet, plant, play, please, plenty, plot, plow, pluck & plum.
Board 2 – sl, cl & gl – slab, slam, slang, slip, slap, sleek, sleep, slice, slow, slug, slump, sly, slippers, claim, clam, clamp, clap, claw, clever, click, clock, close, cloud, glad, gloss, glance, glass, glee, glider, glitter, globe, gloom, glory, glove, glimpse
Board 3 – str, br & gr – strap, straw, strain, stray, stream, street, string, strip, strong, strand, stress, brass, brave, bread, brick, bride, bridge, brush, brother, bring, brave, brace, branch, break, grape, graph, grass, great, green, grill, grow, gravy, gram, grab, grain & grant.
Board 4 – cr, fr, dr – crab, crash, crawl, crayon, crazy, cream, creek, creep, crew, crime, crisp, crowd, frame, freckle, free, freeze, fresh, friend, frog, from, front, frost, frown, fruit, drag, dragon, drain, draw, dream, dress, drink, drive, drip, drop, dry & drill.