Vocabulary Building – Strategy Cards
Vocabulary Enhancement Strategies – 3 more cards to use in group reading sessions to focus on the meaning of words and expanding vocabulary.
Vocabulary Building Lesson Ideas
Vocabulary Building Strategy:
A set of 3 cards to focus students on word meanings and expand vocabulary.
How to Use:
When doing small group reading sessions it is a great time to explore new strategies and add them to your teacher toolbox. So feel free to print these sets of cards out and when working with a small group I choose a card and focus on the teaching strategy described.
Card One – Make a Wall Display:
Students prepare a creative card-based wall display of new vocabulary
Each Card is to Include:
– given word
– illustration or cartoon
– word origins (if easily found)
Discuss each card before adding it to the display
Card Two – Incidentals – A couple of things to say & do throughout the day
– ‘Before you head to your next activity, just remind me of the meaning of…’
– Teacher uses some of the words incidentally in other activities & contexts
– Encourage students to use the words in other contexts. Ham it up and make a big deal of it when they do.
Card Three – Shared Pronunciation – Which words in this text are important for us all to pronounce the same way? e.g. names, subject-specific language, place names, etc
– practice saying the words in unison
– write fon–et–ic pronunciation for later reference
– Where can we find the correct pronunciation? Some options – ask expert people; use the audio function at http://www.dictionary.com/