Addition Game & Subtraction Game in One – Tac Tix is a strategic thinking game for two players which incorporates Addition and Subtraction Fact Practice.
Subtraction Game & Addition Game
Addition & Subtraction Game – Tac Tix
Addition Game & Subtraction Game in One:
Tac Tix is a strategic thinking Math game for two players. Each player takes turns to remove a counter or counters from the board. The winner of the game is the one who forces their opponent to remove the last counter.
What you Need:
2 players 1 game board
Addition & Subtraction Games
– Place 16 counters over the numbers on the board. – Decide on the number to practice adding or subtracting e.g. If 10 is selected then 10 is added or subtracted to each number when uncovered.
How to Win:
– Force your opponent to remove the last counter.
How to Play:
1. The person with the longest little finger goes first. Take turns going first in the following games. 2. Player 1 removes 1, 2, 3 or 4 adjacent (side by side) counters from along one of the straight lines. The player then answers the algorithms revealed.
NB A player may not remove a series of pieces if there is an empty space between the pieces.
3. Player 2 then does the same. 4. Play continues until one player is forced to remove the last counter.
– Only answer the last algorithm revealed by each player on their turn. – Change the number to be added or subtracted e.g. 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 8, 11, etc
– I like starting this game by adding and subtracting 10 then move on to other numbers.
Before the Game:
– Use a Hundreds Chart to explore patterns for adding and subtracting ten from a number and other strategies.
– Discuss possible efficient strategies for adding & subtracting 10 and other numbers
During the Game:
– Monitor the players to see which strategies they are using.
After the Game:
– Think about where to next?
– Mathematicians have studied this game for a very long time and have figured out there is a way for the person who moves second to always win. Try to discover this method.
Hint: The winning strategy has something to do with removing pieces that are ‘symmetrically opposite’.
– Search the Internet for an online version of this game i.e. Play this game against a computer. – Design your own five by five or six by six Tic Tax board.
Included in this Printable Game Download:
6 full-color game boards with different number arrangements 6 low-color game boards with different number arrangements 1 PowerPoint file with all the color boards 1 set of rules and teaching notes