Prefix Shout – A Game to Answer the Question, ‘What is a prefix?’. What is a Prefix? – ‘Prefix Shout’ is a printable game that explores anti, auto, acro, cent, chron, circ, co, com, con, cycl, deca, dis, extra, hydro, hyper, im, inter, ir, kilo & mega.
A Game to Answer the Question, ‘What is a prefix?’
What is a Prefix?
Prefix Shout is a card game designed so students have a heap of fun exploring the common prefixes: anti, auto, acro, cent, chron, circ, co, com, con, cycl, deca, dis, extra, hydro, hyper, im, inter, ir, kilo & mega.
What you Need:
an odd number of prefix cards
How to Play:
1. Caller sits facing the two players and shuffles the cards.
2. Caller looks at the top card from the deck and reads out the prefix.
3. The first player to ‘shout’ out a word containing the prefix wins the card.
4. Play continues in this way until no more cards are left.
5. The player with the most cards at the end of the game is the winner.
6. Players then swap roles and continue to play until each player has had a turn at being the Caller.
NB If a prefix is not known, the Caller reads out some to the words on the card, ‘ready for next time’. On the next turn the players compete for two cards (the one not known and the next one).
Before the Game:
– Recap knowledge of prefixes.
– Discuss some of the prefixes contained in the deck.
Shouting out the answers adds a bit of fun to the game but also provides an excellent teachable moment re ‘working noise’ i.e. How can we modify the game so as to not distract the other members of the class?
NB The game cards used in this game are the same as in Prefix Bluff. If you download this game you can play both games.