Factors Game – Aliquot
Factor Game – Aliquot is a strategy game involving factors, subtraction, number sense and strategy. It is an excellent game for promoting mathematical thinking.
Game in a Nutshell:
Aliquot is a strategy game involving factors, subtraction, number sense, and strategy. It is an excellent game for promoting mathematical thinking.
About the Game:
The first question when starting this game is always “What is an aliquot?” It’s certainly an unusual word!
It’s not essential that students know the word “aliquot,” although it is a really cool word! There are neat words for almost everything in Math, as the line between the numerator and denominator (vinculum) or the proper name for the symbol for Division (obelus). While they aren’t super important, these terms are still nice to know!
What You Need:
How to Play:
Before the Game:
– Define and investigate factors.
– Explore the factors of given numbers
– Explore factor trees.
– Investigate ‘factor rainbows’.
– Ask students to explain how they arrive at the factors for a given number.
– Explore strategies for working out a number’s factors.
During the Game:
– Observe how students work out factors to inform your future lessons and tutorial groups.
– Encourage students to devise strategies to help them do well in the game.
How to Win:
A player wins when all other players are forced to land on number one.
Possible Reflection Questions About Factors:
– What did you learn by playing this game?
– How does the game ‘Aliquot’ help you learn Math concepts.
– What questions do you still have about factors?
– On a scale from 1 to 10, how would you rate your ability to find the factors of a number? Explain your reasoning.
When you land on the number 1, the game is over (i.e. ONE has no aliquot parts). Why do you think this is the case given you’ve been able to use one throughout the game?
Hint 1: The answer has something to do with the definition of an aliquot.
Hint 2: “Itself” is one. How could this fact help you understand why one is the game-ender?
Included in this Download:
1 Aliquot Game Board
1 Powerpoint File so you can discuss the game.